Sunday, January 21, 2007

Check it!

Ta-da! Here's the new and hopefully improved Cool Librarian Blog!

After a lot of thought, I decided to merge libraryland over here, rather than moving the CL blog archives over to WordPress. Yes, yes, I know that no one understands why I would choose Blogger over WP. Yes, I know that WP is the superior blogging platform. But, you know what? In the end, it was just easier for me to screw with the code and re-create the libraryland content in new pages that match this blog's layout. Moving to my WP blog would have meant: transfering this blogs' archive content into WP; finding a new template that I liked and could use my headline banner with (which would have meant screwing with the WP templates/code to get it the way I want it); and changing the WordPress URL to reflect cool librarian rather than libraryland (and all the BS that goes along with THAT process). Somewhere in all of that it was pretty much guaranteed that something would have gone horribly wrong, and I would have spent days banging my head on the keyboard swearing about my lost and/or messed-up content. And, my readers would have had to update their feeds/links.

So, in the end, it was easier to spend a few hours cutting, pasting, and tweaking some code to get the WP page content over here. And, I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the results (OK, I am shocked that I was able to make the pages match pretty well).

So, at the top of the blog page are the links to the libraryland resource pages. When I add resources that I like, I will blog the addition and then add it to the appropriate "static" content page. That way, readers are free to simply watch their feed for new blog content or browse the content pages.

I've added a search function to each page and the blog since the tagging here is somewhat less than optimal at this point.

Please feel free to suggest content for the "libraryland" pages, and if you find an error/typo/dead link, let me know that as well.

I hope you like it.

No comments: