Friday, July 07, 2006

Well, this is interesting...

Two things from YA at the Middletown Public Library land:

All of a sudden, kids are signing up for my Teen Spot Reviews project. I've had three people join in two days and I couldn't be happier. Now, if they actually write a review, I'll be thrilled!

I had one response to my inaugural What Do You Want experiment. I was happy with that, especially since it was left by a teen that I didn't actually accost and force into participating. The interesting part, however, was her responses; she's a 17 year old girl, and her "picks" reflected that for the most part. But next to
The Full Spectrum : A New Generation of Writing About Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and Other Identities by David Levithan and Billy Merrell, she penned in a large "NO". She did not do this on the other books she didn't select as "buy this" - just this title. And perhaps this simply reflects my own biases/preconceived notions/stereotyping, but I was actually surprised, as she is a GIRL (I wouldn't have been surprised if a teenaged boy had done this). Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about her adamance that a "gay" title NOT be included in the collection (OK, it totally bums me out), or my own prejudices - but, of course, I ordered the title anyway...

As for accosting the kids, well, I am finding that if I am on the reference desk, and a teen comes in, I make it a point to approach the teen and TALK to them. I show them the collection, I show them the projects that are going on, and generally HAND them the materials and hope for the best. It seems to be working - who knew?


1 comment:

Christine G. said...

the "NO" is either a sign that she's way uncomfortable with the subject or way way closeted.

heh.

seriously i'm not surprised. i don't think i was comfortable with anyone being gay until i was about 20. 17 year olds (male/female) are still figuring things out, and really should be given the time to work on the front within themselves.

accost the kids all you like -- seriously, they need mentoring and guidance.

good luck!