Monday, November 20, 2006

New Job?

I've been pretty quiet about this because I am just superstitious enough to worry about "jinxing" it, but I had a pretty good interview last week for the "job of my dreams."

I had given up on getting an academic job - around here, if you don't already have an academic job, it's pretty tough to break in - you know, the age-old problem of "How do I get experience if no one is willing to hire me?" But, since I have been very happy in my public library position, I wasn't heart broken at the prospect of staying in the public sector. Hell, I'd be happy with full-time in either!

Then a job came up at a local university, and I decided to give it a shot. With no real academic experience and a ton of un- and under-employed academic folks out there to compete with, I didn't figure on even getting an interview. But, I did, and it went better than I thought it would.
Actually, it was the presentation that went very well. Since it's a reference/instruction position, I had to give a short presentation on the subject of my choice. I put something together a la Jessamyn, spent a few days hyperventilating about it, and found that it was a great blend of appropriate subject and cool presentation.

Since things are about to change at my job, and not for the better, I am hoping and praying that I get this position. It's everything that I had in mind when I graduated: it's a great school in a gorgeous location (and it's HERE! I don't have to move!), a beautiful library, friendly people, reference AND instruction. The librarians also seem to want to embrace the "2.0-ness" of things, and that makes me very happy.

So, send good job vibes my way - this is what I have been waiting for!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Vibey goodness coming your way!