Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Providence Public Library Branches

When I started library school, I was offered a Prism Fellowship - I am probably the only person to ever turn it down. My main reason for doing so, at the time, was that it would have forced me to take only 2 classes per semester, and I didn't want it to take me 3+ years to finish my degree. Also, at the time, I wasn't overly sure that I wanted to work for Providence Public. Don't ask me why - that should have been my dream job. But some weirded out feeling told me to stay away from there.

That was the first, and only, time in history that my intuition would serve me well.

If you are not in/from Rhode Island, you may not be aware of the problems Providence Public has had in the past 2-3 years; in a nutshell, jobs have been drastically cut, branches closed, and leadership questioned. The "media coverage" link on this site will help you fill in the blanks...

Today I received a link to a great site that talks about the condition and perhaps fate of the Branch Libraries of PPL - Not About The Buildings. Take a look - there's some moving, and important, stuff here.

No comments: